Hi!! I am so happy you are here! I only wish that I could give you a big welcome hug in person! Let’s pretend we’re chatting over a cup of coffee and spend a little time getting to know one another.
I’m Amelia. Wife to Joe and mama to 3 absolutely precious boys here in Ohio. I am a forever optimist and greet most things in life with a lot of enthusiasm. I am passionate about many things: my family, my friends, my students, books, student engagement, clothes, and Diet Coke to name a few.
I love decorating our home, cooking, running, and styling outfits; I’d consider myself an amateur at them all, but like I said, I’m a passionate person! This space is where it all comes together. I have been teaching 4th grade for nine years (I taught 6th grade before that) and have dedicated a lot of time creating research-based resources that bring books to life in classrooms all over. I am here to be the smile that you need, support that you might not have, sounding board for ideas, provider of creativity and engagement… I’m on your team! Sit down, stay a while, and take what you need
A few more bits and pieces…
Since you’re here, I want to share with you a few of my beliefs about teaching (and life!)
- I believe every student can become a passionate reader. It takes the right book, the right place, the right read aloud, the right person, the right genre, or maybe a combo of a few of those. I want to help you find that for your students!
- I believe that YOU are the best curriculum designer for your students. You know your students better than any textbook company, curriculum designer, or administrator. You are just what they need!
- I believe that education SHOULD be engaging. There is a time and a place for a worksheet, but there is also so much opportunity to engage our students with simple activities that are more hands-on. I want to help you with that!
- I believe that education and the world around us are constantly changing, so we have to adapt our teaching. Authentic texts are a wonderful way to do this!
- I believe in cross-curricular teaching. I want to help you take your ELA lessons and use authentic texts to cover reading, writing, grammar, and language. Even better? Let me help you incorporate them into math, science, and social studies!
- I believe that my students need to walk out of my classroom knowing that they are LOVED and I know that is important to you, too. Let’s work on building classroom community!
Now that you know my beliefs, you’ll understand what drives my passion for education. Literacy Live was born out of my need for lessons using authentic texts that were more than a worksheet. They are designed to use authentic texts for reading, writing, grammar, and language, and also include many components for math, science, and social studies. I love being able to provide teachers with their entire workshop block planned out including whole group mini lessons, small group lessons, independent work, and more.Tell me more!